About Birhanu Tadesse Daba
Mr. Birhanu Tadesse Daba has professional experiences in tax matters with particular focus on tax policies and tax treaties. He has also researched on implications of the Multilateral Convention implementing the treaty related BEPS measures and has been working on transfer pricing.
Birhanu joined NovioTax in December 2019 as a Tax Lawyer/Research Associate. Birhanu holds an advanced LL.M/Masters in International Tax Law from University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, an LL.M in International Law from Ethiopian Civil Service University, and an LL.B in laws from Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia.
Before joining NovioTax, Birhanu, worked as an associate at the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD). At IBFD, Birhanu worked, among others duties and responsibilities, as IBFD’s tax technical editor for 8 African countries’ on their corporate taxation, individual taxation and business and investment country surveys. Birhanu also served as research and technical staff of the Center for Studies in African Taxation (CSAT)-a think tank at IBFD. He was also the first recipient of the CSAT scholarship (and CSAT scholar).
Further, Birhanu worked at the Ministry of Finance of Ethiopia for more than seven years in different positions including (among others) as acting Director of the Tax Policy Directorate and team leader in the Tax Policy Directorate, and Senior legal expert in the Legal Affairs Directorate. Birhanu also served as member of the Technical Committee of the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Revenue (former Ethiopian Revenue and Customs Authority) and the tax treaty negotiation team. He was actively engaged in negotiating bilateral tax treaties and financing agreements, conducting tax policy reviews and drafting legislation.
- Valuation of Implicit Support from a Transfer Pricing Perspective (International Transfer Pricing Journal), (IBFD, 23 December 2020)
- A Snapshot of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), (IBFD, 1 April 2019)
- Potentially bleak outcomes of the Russia-Netherlands DTAA (re)negotiations (January 2021)
- Participation exemption regimes could cost WHT reliefs under EU Parent-Subsidiary Directive and DTAAs (January 2021)
- Digital Services Tax Emerging in Africa (December 2020)
- Cash pooling arrangements: a reflection on selected court cases (November 2020)
- Brazilian Court rules on interpretation of substantial economic activity of Dutch holding companies for application of thin-capitalization rules (February 2020)
- OECD/G20 Inclusive Framework on BEPS endorsed the Two-Pillar Approach on the Digitalisation of the Economy (February 2020)